DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
Mark McLoughlin
2009-01-26 09:25:49 UTC
intel_iommu was briefly enabled by default in Fedora rawhide.

One user reported lots of error spew like:

DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [03:00.0] fault addr fff8d000
DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set

followed by filesystem corruption. We've made intel_iommu=off the
default now.

Details here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/328997

Any of the maintainers interested in working with the reporter to sort
this out?

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark McLoughlin
2009-01-26 09:41:17 UTC
Post by Mark McLoughlin
Hi,
intel_iommu was briefly enabled by default in Fedora rawhide.
DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [03:00.0] fault addr fff8d000
DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
followed by filesystem corruption. We've made intel_iommu=off the
default now.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/328997
Apologies, not sure where that came from. Correct link is:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/479996

Thanks,
Mark.
David Woodhouse
2009-01-26 21:46:16 UTC
Post by Mark McLoughlin
Hi,
intel_iommu was briefly enabled by default in Fedora rawhide.
DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [03:00.0] fault addr fff8d000
DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
followed by filesystem corruption. We've made intel_iommu=off the
default now.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/328997
Any of the maintainers interested in working with the reporter to sort
this out?
That'll probably be me... when I get home next week. Will try to look at
it sooner.
--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse at intel.com Intel Corporation
Mark McLoughlin
2009-01-28 09:23:17 UTC
Post by David Woodhouse
Post by Mark McLoughlin
Hi,
intel_iommu was briefly enabled by default in Fedora rawhide.
DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [03:00.0] fault addr fff8d000
DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
followed by filesystem corruption. We've made intel_iommu=off the
default now.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/328997
Any of the maintainers interested in working with the reporter to sort
this out?
That'll probably be me... when I get home next week. Will try to look at
it sooner.
Thanks.

We now have two reports of "PTE Write access is not set" issues on
Lenovo x200 and also a "Present bit in root entry is clear" issue on a
Dell Precision T5400. Both have logs in the bug above.

Cheers,
Mark.